About the School
Since receiving its Royal Charter in 1966, Loughborough University has held an established reputation for excellence in teaching and research, strong links with industry and unrivalled sporting achievement.
The School of Business and Economics is increasingly recognised as one of the brightest and best business schools in the UK. It seeks to provide high quality management education and research that is tailored to the demands of today’s business environment.
Please use the tabs below to find out more about us...
- School Accolades
- Loughborough University
Top-Ten in UK for Business, Management, Accounting and Finance
The Sunday Times' University Guide 2013 saw Loughborough ranked 3rd for Finance and Accounting and 5th for Management.
The Times' 2013 Good University Guide saw Loughborough ranked 4th for Accounting & Finance and 6th for Business Studies.
The Independent's Complete University Guide 2013 rated Loughborough as 5th for Accounting & Finance, and 7th for Business Studies.
The Guardian's 2013 University Guide rated Loughborough 7th in the UK for Business and Management studies.
In the 2012 National Student Survey (NSS), Loughborough was ranked 2nd for Accounting, 6th for Finance and 12th for Management, based on students’ overall satisfaction with their experience of university.
- The School of Business and Economics is one of just 1% of business schools in the world to be EQUIS accredited by the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD).
- The Loughborough MBA is fully accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA), and was re-accredited by AMBA for the maximum five years in 2008.
- Our teaching was rated as 'Excellent' by the latest HEFCE report. We aim to provide practical, relevant and applied management education tailored to the needs of individuals and corporate clients.
- 60% of our Business and Management research was rated as 'world leading or internationally excellent' by the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE
- The 2008 RAE placed Loughborough 14th out of 90 institutions who submitted Business and Management entries, based on ‘research power’ – a measure of overall ranking multiplied by the number of researchers whose work was submitted - ahead of other prestigious institutions including Cambridge, Cranfield and Durham.
- 95% of our Economics research was rated as of ‘international standard’ by the 2008 RAE.
Excellent links with Industry - Business Relevance and Career Focus
- 1st in the UK for employability of Business and Management graduates with 89% in a graduate level job within six months (2013 Guardian University Guide)
- The School has a long history of having excellent links with Industry, providing management education with a strong career focus for individuals and that is directly relevant to corporate clients.
- The School has a corporate client approach towards executive education and over 15 years’ experience Tailored Programmes for prestigious blue-chip companies.
- Our undergraduates enjoy high employability rates and our Business and Management undergraduates undertake a paid Placement Year as part of their degree
A Leading University
- The Sunday Times University of the Year 2008-9
- Ranked in the Top 20 of UK universities:
11th in The Guardian University Guide 2013
12th in The Sunday Times University Guide 2013
16th in The Times Good University Guide 2013
Awarded six Queen's Anniversary Prizes for Higher and Further Education
Outstanding Student Satisfaction
- Loughborough has been named The Times Higher Education ‘Best Student Experience’ for England for six years running (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 & 2011) – as voted for by students across the UK. The 2007 awards saw Loughborough also win the UK’s most ‘Outstanding Support for Overseas Students’ award.
- Awarded 'Best International Students' Union of the Year 2009' by the National Union of Students (NUS)
- One of the biggest independently owned Students’ Unions, with over 100 clubs and societies and the biggest student fundraising RAG organisation in the UK.
- Of those available for employment or study, 90% of our 2010 Loughborough graduates are in a job or undertaking further study, with 73% of these in 'higher graduate' level occupations, compared with the national average of 63%
- Loughborough is one of the top 20 universities targeted by large, graduate employers (Higher Fliers 'The Graduate Market' report)
- Loughborough’s Careers and Employability Centre is recognised as one of the best in the UK
High Quality Teaching
- Assessments of teaching quality by the Quality Assurance Agency have placed Loughborough University in the top flight of UK universities.
- Loughborough University’s teacher training has been rated among top-ten in the UK, by the Good Teacher Training Guide 2008-09. The University was ranked 9th out of 73 higher education institutions in the league table, which is published by the Centre for Education and Employment Research at the University of Buckingham.
- In teaching quality assessments conducted by The Sunday Times since 1995, Loughborough has ranked 2nd in the UK after Cambridge.
- A UK Top 20 university based on research funding from HEFCE (the Higher Education Funding Council for England) and the only one in this shortlist without a medical school.
- In 2006, the University was invited to join the esteemed 1994 Group (a set of internationally recognised, research-intensive universities) in recognition of its quality research achievements as well as excellent levels of teaching and student experience.
Fostering Enterprise & Innovation
- The University has been awarded six Queen's Anniversary Prizes, an achievement only surpassed by Oxford University, which has seven. Loughborough has won awards for its collaboration with aerospace and automotive companies such as BAE Systems, Ford and Rolls Royce; for its work in developing countries; for pioneering research in optical engineering; for its world-leading role in sports research, education and development; for its outstanding work in evaluating and helping to develop social policy-related programmes; and for its vehicle, road and driver safety research.
Environmentally Friendly and Responsible Citizen
- The University purchases 50% of its electricity from green sources and 50% from low carbon generation. The University also operates two Combined Heat and Power Plants. These initiatives help to reduce our CO2 emissions by 17,600 tonnes per annum compared with conventional electricity generation.
The Sunday Times - Loughborough University: 12th; Finance and Accounting: 3rd; Management: 5th
The Times –Loughborough University: 16th; Accounting & Finance: 4th; Business Studies: 6th
The Guardian – Loughborough University: 11th; Business & Management Studies: 7th
The Independent – Loughborough University: 14th overall; Top ranked university in the East Midlands; Accounting & Finance: 5th; Business Studies: 7th.
The Times Higher Awards –The only university to win the Times Higher Education 'Best Student Experience' for England poll six times - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 & 2011.
National Student Survey – 2nd for Accounting; 6th for Finance; 12th for Management